Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Almost Revenge

After staying up until 3:30 on Thursday morning and a highly irritating day yesterday (see previous blog), I didn't feel like cooking last night. I decided to get something that resembled "healthy" and chose Chinese food (Shrimp, Broccoli and steamed rice...yummmm!) which I was happy about because it's been a while since I had Chinese food. I go into the Chinese place, give them my order and was told "you wait ten minute!! I noticed two video game machines in the corner so I figured I could handle the ten minute by playing a video game. I decided to play what used to be my favorite video game several years ago, Bust It. It's the one where you shoot these colored balls up, trying to get three of the same color in a row and they pop. Love that game...

If you know me, you know I rarely carry cash or change. I'm a debit/credit card type of girl. But luckily I had some change in my purse. I pull out the quarter, insert it in the machine and get ready to play my game. I can feel the excitement brewing inside me as I pushed the Start button. But my excitement quickly faded when.....nothing happened. I pushed it again, and then pushed the coin returning, figuring it was one of those fluke things that the quarter didn't catch. Only my quarter didn't come out. I tried pushing ALL of the buttons, and nothing happened.

I told myself not to get upset, I would just tell them that the machine ate my quarter and they would give me a new one. So when little asian woman came out, I told her what happened and she proceeded to stare at the screen and then push all of the buttons. (She probably figured I was too stupid to try that on my own!) When nothing happened she looked at me, smiled and said "Sorry!" I stared at her with a am-I-missing-something? look on my face. You don't need to be sorry, I just want another quarter so I could play the game. Come on, the clock is ticking!

She saw the look on my face and called out to someone in the kitchen and started speaking Chinese really fast. I couldn't understand her of course, but I could swear I heard the words "greedy bitch" somewhere in there. But it didn't matter as long as I got my quarter. Little asian comes out and proceeds to stare at the screen and push all the buttons. Again, why didn't I think of that? Duh. When nothing happens he looks at me and says, "you call company!" and points at the number of the vendor, then walks away.

"WOW" was my response. Now he's managed to anger me. It's no longer about the quarter, it's about running a business and making the customer happy. Allowing your machine to eat my quarter and then telling me to call the vendor to retrieve the quarter is not making this customer happy.

So I'm standing there by the machine, getting more irritated by the second. (Don't forget lack of sleep and crappy work day). Then it hits me.....I'm going to get that quarter back by any means necessary. So I started plotting what I could do to make THEM lose a quarter. I looked around and saw one of those sugar containers on the corner of the counter and I conconcted an evil plan to dump out 25 cents worth of sugar on the end of the counter.

That's right. Don't. Fuck. With. Me.

I immediately started feeling better at the thought of my evil plan and even envisioned them having to sweep up the wasted sugar, knowing it was me that poured it out. Just as little Asian woman came out with my food, little Asian man also came out behind her, and sat in the chair.....right in front of the sugar container on the counter.

Dammit.

All my hopes and dreams of pulling off my little plan were gone. The only solace I took from the whole situation was when I got my $14.01 back in change from the food, they saw me put the penny in the tip jar. Ha ha, take that!

I still consider it a small victory. I hate being ripped off. :)

No comments: