Saturday, June 28, 2008

No Good Deed...

...goes unpunished!! At least that's the way it feels like today. I promised my friend I would help her move today. I hate moving! But she's one of my best friends and she never even asked but I wanted to help her anyway, especially since I think she did most of her stuff with only the help of her little brother.



I step outside today and it's hot and muggy. Perfect moving conditions. After getting inside my car which is blazing hot, I realize I probably should have worn my sports bra because I'm going to sweat like a pig in this heat. Whatever, I just want to get there and get it done. Thankfully, she had the help of two of her other girlfriends and so we started working.



We packed as much into all three cars that we could and headed over to her mother's house to begin unloading. Everything was going great (except for having to move her upstairs, ugh!) and we were outside taking a break. I'm really not sure how what happened next transpired, but all I can remember is that I'm standing on the steps and one of her friends was backing out of the driveway in her SUV. I see it happen, almost like it was in slow motion. I hear my friend say, "Wait! Watch the car, watch the car!" The friend driving says, "What?" And *SMACK* She backs into my car.



Sigh.



Everyone was kind of stunned, including myself. I just stood there, hoping and saying a quick prayer to God that it was a tiny dent. After inspecting it I see that it's really not that bad of a dent, she hit my drivers side back door, but the handle doesn't work. She apologized profusely and I was pretty good about it, because shit happens. She didn't do it on purpose. But then she started to get really upset because she just got on her mom's insurance and she was afraid if she told her mother, her mother would take her off. I offered to see if she wanted to just pay for the damages herself and we won't report it which she agreed to but she really doesn't have the money. I didn't want to say anything at the time either, but even though it doesn't look that bad, it's not going to be any less than $500. I felt bad for her, I felt bad for me, and felt bad because we still had to keep moving.

Today I went to a few garages to see how much the damages would be, knowing it wouldn't be less than $500 and I was right. One guy quoted $800 and he works at a large and reputable place and another guy is telling me they need to replace the door and match the paint, etc. He quoted me at $1,500 - 2,000. Ok. Why don't I just bend over and grab my ankles for you to while I'm at it? I've got one more place to check out later and basically she will decide if she wants to pay for it out-of-pocket or go through her mom's insurance.

I just want to get it over with! I really want to get rid of the tin can by the end of the year and get a Toyota. I puffy heart Toyota. I've only owned one but in the 11 years I owned it, I put hardly any money in to it. So why when it got totalled did I go out and by a FORD? Won't be making that mistake again. Man I love the Japanese.

No comments: