Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Popcorn Incident

I'm really trying to eat right, exercise and lose this darn weight. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what works for me. Like when to eat, what to eat, what to avoid and what I can have. Last week I had a difficult time in the later evenings, being starving (LOL at starving...I could probably live off my body fat alone for at least a few weeks). I cannot go to bed hungry, I literally can't sleep. So I got in the habit of making myself toast. But not just two slices of toast, try FOUR. I love toast. It's simple and delicious, I could eat it every day. Anyway I had that and a glass of milk every night last week. That's just too many calories to consume in the late evenings.

I was thinking about it yesterday and it suddenly occurred to me that a good way for me to get "filled" up in the evening with minimal damage is to buy one of those 100 calorie boxes of 94% FF Orville R. pocorn. I figure that and some crystal light would do the trick. If you know the 94% FF popcorn, you know it's kind of tasteless. Not much butter, but not exactly plain either. So as I was buying it, I noticed on the shelf above it they had these containers that looked exactly like spice containers but they had "Popcorn sprinkle" in it. They had different flavors but the one I zeroed in on was the white cheddar. I look at the label and it has 2 calories per 1/4 tsp. I thought, cool....I could have a whole teaspoon and still be ok. I think they have sodium though but I'm ok with that. I got excited because my popcorn was going to taste good (I love white cheddar) and I was going to save a lot of calories.

So.....last night I had my popcorn with the white cheddar sprinkle. I quickly realized that because the popcorn was dry (the 94% FF is more dry than the Movie Theater Butter pocorn LOL), the white cheddar sprinkle did not really stick well to it. I could see a lot of it in the bottom of the bowl. So I thought....I know what would make it stick. Spray butter! "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" has this spray butter which is very low in calories and good for stuff like that. So i went to the refrigerator to get some, and I did not have any. I swear I thought I had some that I used recently, but it was hiding on me. Bummer. But then I had what I thought was a brilliant idea. I went to the cabinet and I and retrieved my cooking spray.....you know, the spray that you use to grease a cookie sheet or pan before cooking? (It was NOT butter flavored)

I don't know what I was thinking.

I sprayed some on sparingly, pretty excited that I would finally taste more white cheddar that I was longing for. I took some kernels and put them in my mouth and what I tasted was pretty disgusting. I wanted to vomit. All I could taste was the cooking spray. I was disappointed but determined to make it work. So I thought....ok, I'll doctor it up some more and just pour more sprinkle on there to get rid of that horrific taste that was abusing my pallette. No. I got a mouthful of white cheddar cooking spray. I ended up eating a few bitefuls and then throwing the rest out.

So the lesson today folks is don't spray cooking spray on your popcorn if you want it to taste good! I will be going out this evening to get my butter spray and then all will be right in the world.

2 comments:

Martalu said...

Haha! That sucks out loud! But at least you're thinking of really good alternatives. Sorry you had to experience that first hand and a million thanks for letting us know so we don't do the same!

Mrs Swan said...

Oh man that sucks!!!! Here is to a lesson learned though! LOL